Saturday, May 9, 2009

Hollie's Sculpture

So, the way I came up with my sculpture was as follows:

I took the clay in my hands and began to form it and mix two colors together thinking that I would turn it into this ‘black’ clay that had been mentioned in our last meeting. The red and blue began to swirl together and it reminded me of many photographs I have taken of an image’s reflection on the water. With that in mind, I began to get a vision for this sculpture: It would be a simple (red) fishing boat with its reflection laid out over the blue water. Now, sometimes the reflection is a perfect match of its subject and other times it looks a bit like a jigsaw puzzle or some fancy piece of art in a gallery. In any case, I am not that technical and decided to go with the free flowing reflection. So, this is what you (should) see. And I chose it, again, because it is a subject I enjoy photographing.

A couple things came to mind in writing this out: One, just begin to step out and do something. Faith mixed with works. I caught a vision in doing so and then begin to work in that direction to see it fulfilled. Much like the creative process we are involved with through Inspire.

No comments: