Friday, September 26, 2008

Thuy's Burning Bush Story

I’d like to tell you a glorious story about “that word” that I received or some prophesy that I was told, but my spiritual life’s been pretty unspectacular. No lightning bolts, no thunder, no fireworks. This story has been hard for me to write. I’ve racked and racked my brain and my heart and I can’t really come up with a fantastic moment I could relate to you. So, instead of a burning bush I tell you, I’ll have to describe to you a glowing ember instead.

I didn’t grow up as a Christian, but I can’t remember a time when I didn’t believe that there was someone more infinite out there, someone better than all of us, someone pure. And I grew up believing in that goodness, trying to live like that goodness, and in turn believing that that goodness was inherent in all of us and if given the chance and opportunity, it would manifest itself. I went searching down several roads, before finally turning onto the “true” road, the one that leads me to a personal relationship with goodness Himself – Jesus.

I am a servant. I serve my family, friends, co-workers, community and strangers, but especially I am a servant of Jesus. I believe He calls me to serve goodness, kindness, and patience and in doing good, I would know Him more. For the past several years I have toyed with the idea of starting a volunteer group. Many young people today don’t volunteer on a consistent basis because of jobs, family, or other commitments; not for a lack of desire. I would like to get people together and volunteer, but make it social and fun also. My thought is to create a calendar of events and one could sign up for an event without a weekly or hourly commitment. After the volunteering, the group could go have coffee or food, and this would be the time to debrief, socialize, talk, and a chance to disciple. I believe once given the opportunity to serve, one will be exposed to goodness, and in being exposed will come to know God and His call. I guess I believe in that line “open hearts, open minds.”


Scriptures pertaining to this idea/vision

8 The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. 9 For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, God’s building. 10 By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as an expert builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should be careful how he builds. 11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 If any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay, or straw, 13 his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man’s work. 14 If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. 15 If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames. 16 Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s spirit lives in you? 17 If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy him; for God’s temple is sacred and you are that temple. 1 Corinthians 3:8-17
26 “Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 27 and whoever wants to be first must be your slave-28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Matthew 20: 26-28


What has God put in my hand to do right now?

I believe God wants me to be planted at the City, start setting down stones for the foundation for me to move forward. I have the time now to be more involved, although I have to do it creatively since my schedule fluctuates so much.

No comments: